The Maldives is one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations for people who like to enjoy beaches and water activities. Aside from being one of the most extraordinary and gorgeous tropical destinations in the world, The Maldives is more than just surreal picture-perfect landscapes and luxurious resorts. This gorgeous island nation consists of about 1,000 islands in the Indian Ocean that’s why it is also equally famous for their underwater marine life. The Maldives offers a breathtaking snorkeling experience for both beginners and experienced snorkelers. That’s why in this article, we are going to give you a quick guide to snorkeling in the Maldives.
Advantages of Snorkeling in the Maldives
As we mentioned earlier, The Maldives offers one of the most remarkable snorkeling experience in the world. And this is because of the clear waters and abundance of coral reefs in the country. In fact, there are over seventy distinct species of coral reefs and almost 700 species of marine life that can be found in the Maldives. Which means that when you go snorkeling, there is a hundred percent chance that you’re going to witness an amazing variety of flora and fauna. Some of the species you will likely see during snorkeling are different kinds of turtles, reef sharks, morays, rays, and napoleons. It doesn’t matter whether you’re an expert when it comes to marine life or not, you will surely appreciate the majestic and colorful array of creatures that you will see.
The Best Place to Go Snorkeling
The Maldives is home to a large number of islands but unfortunately, not all of them are equal when it comes to snorkeling. When going snorkeling in the Maldives, you have to make sure that you are situated on an island with its own good quality house reef or else you may have to travel from your resort or hotel to get to another island just to get the best snorkeling experience. Lucky for you there are quite a few islands in the country that do contain excellent house reefs such as Fihalohi, Embudu, Reethi Beech, Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo, and Eriyadu. And that is not a complete list, there are other islands that you could research before you go to make sure you get quality snorkeling.
When is the Best Time of the Year to Go Snorkeling in the Maldives?
The Maldives offers beautiful scenery all year round, but if you plan to go on snorkeling, there are certain times of the year that are better than the others. And the best time of the year to go on snorkeling, as well as diving and swimming, in the Maldives are January to April. During that time, you will most likely to experiences the clear skies and waters. The weather is less predictable from May through September and you are more likely to encounter storms. But of course, you can enjoy snorkeling in the Maldives any time of the year but if you have a choice to plan and schedule your trip, you may want to base them on these factors.
Guide and Tips You Should Keep in Mind When Going Snorkeling in the Maldives
- If you’re not a swimmer, just remember to keep safe when you’re in the water. You can just put on your mask and walk a few steps inside the lagoon, bend down and look into the water. Remember, no waves, no danger.
- If you are wearing prescription glasses, then you should consider getting yourself a prescription snorkel mask to maximize your snorkeling experience. Prescription snorkel masks can offer you clear vision underwater even without your glasses on. You can find out more about what’s the best prescription mask to get here.
- Don’t worry if it’s your first time to go snorkeling because in the Maldives, you can enjoy beautiful sceneries by simply putting on your fins and masks while you wade your way across the surface of the waters.
- Be sure you have the right snorkeling gears. Having the right equipment when going snorkeling will help you go through your activities with ease and make the most of your experience. If you’re having trouble picking the right snorkeling equipment for you, you can read more about it here.
- Having the right snorkeling mask is also a factor to consider if you want the best snorkeling experience. Make sure it fits you and it is comfortable to wear for you to swim and explore the underwater life with ease. Also if you wear glasses or contacts check out these options for prescription snorkel masks.
- If you’re comfortable and you have experience in snorkeling, you can just grab your mask, snorkel tube, a pair of fins, and a snorkeling vest and dive in the relaxing waters.
- Also, no perfect snorkeling experience in the Maldives is complete without those instagramable photos. That’s why you should make sure you have the right camera to take your pictures. And to make more picture-perfect memories, you can check out this guide on taking pictures while snorkeling.
Now that you’ve read this guide, what are you waiting for? Book that flight to the Maldives, grab your gears, pack your bags, and experience that vacation you deserve.